The accounting emphasis is for students contemplating a career in accounting or associated fields. This area of concentration provides an excellent foundation for students interested in transfer to a four-year college to earn a baccalaureate degree with a major in accounting or a related business major. Coursework prepares individuals to practice the profession of accounting and to perform related business functions.
Students receive a broad education with special attention to the functions, theory and practice of accounting as related to contemporary society. The curriculum combines a well-balanced distribution of business and liberal arts courses. Students have the opportunity to develop skills, abilities and understanding that are required for successful job entry and for advanced study in the accounting field.
Students who take the courses recommended in the accounting focus area will be able to:
- display knowledge of accounting principles and theories.
- examine the theory, policy and trends of economic problems of society and the individual
- display knowledge of business concepts required for today’s ever changing business environment.
- examine principles and techniques used in organizing, planning, managing and leading within various organizations.
- display knowledge in economics, accounting, marketing, management and communications.
Job opportunities are available in public, private, financial or government accounting and other related areas of accounting and finance.
Preparation for IHCC :
Students interested in this area should have sound writing, critical reading skills, and a strong mathematics background.
Since the bachelor’s degree requirements of various transfer institutions differ, students planning to transfer to a four-year institution are strongly advised to familiarize themselves with the requirements of the program at the institution to which they plan to transfer. Students should consult with an advisor at the transfer institution and with an IHCC academic counselor to plan a program that meets those requirements.