Offered Online Only
This 12-month (four-term) online program prepares the student for a position as a medical insurance coding technician at a medical office, hospital or medical facility. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, students graduate with a diploma in Medical/Insurance Coding. Graduates may wish to become a Certified Coding Associate (CCA) by passing the certification examination administered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
This coding certificate program is approved by the Professional Certificate Approval Program (PCAP) Council.
Prospective students must complete an application, complete an IHCC application and submit high school transcripts or High School Equivalency Diploma scores and take one of the following: ACT, SAT or ACCUPLACER test. Testing may be scheduled by calling (641) 683-5142 or (800) 726-2585, extension 5142. This program begins in the Fall & Spring terms of each year.
Criminal background, drug screening, and dependent adult and child abuse record checks are required prior to the beginning of practicum courses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Possess the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of an entry level Medical/Insurance Coder
- Communicate effectively with clients, family and health care team members
- Adhere to ethical and legal principles in relation to standards of practice
- Demonstrate accountability for professional behavior, development and growth
- Use written documentation that is concise and grammatically correct
Program Total: 47 Credits