Jan 18, 2021
Offered at Centerville and Main Campus
The office assistant is one of the most vital team members in a business. The Business Specialist program is an excellent opportunity for students who want to obtain skills and enter the job market in any office area, including the medical, legal, accounting, manufacturing, insurance and education fields. The program can be completed in nine months (three terms) or on an extended basis. All earned credits can be applied to an Associate of Arts degree for those students who want to continue their education, Students can enroll in this program at the beginning of any term on the Ottumwa campus.
To enroll, complete an application and attend any required academic orientation and information session. Students meeting all program and graduation requirements receive a diploma.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Communicate effectively-both in writing and orally.
- Demonstrate ability to keyboard 40 nwpm on five minute timing.
- Learn to keyboard by touch.
- Ability to correctly keyboard various business documents from un-arranged copy
- Demonstrate ability to ten-key by touch at 180 nspm.
- Understand the basic principles of computers.
- Utilize basic accounting principles.
- Apply accounting principles utilizing accounting software.
- Understand and use word processing concepts.
- Understand and use spreadsheet concepts.
- Understand and use database concepts.
- Understand and use presentation concepts.
- Demonstrate ability to integrate software.
- Demonstrate the proper procedures for mailing and shipping services.
- Develop ability to spell, pronounce, and define legal terms.
- Develop and use proper telephone techniques.
- Understand various methods of file management.
- Utilize basic math functions.
- Learn to work in a team environment.
- Develop the skills necessary to work with the user and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate problem solving and decision making techniques.
- Research data using the Internet.
- Demonstrate appropriate appearance for career.
- Research resumes and interview techniques.
- Develop integrity, objectivity, and ethics in business.
- Understand financial analysis and interpretations.
- Utilize integrated learning concepts.
Program Total: 38 Credits