Offered Online Only
This 12-month (four-term) online program prepares the student for a position as a medical insurance coding professional. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, students graduate with a diploma in Medical Insurance Coding. Graduates may wish to become a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) by passing the certification examination administered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
The Medical Insurance Coding Program is an approved comprehensive coding program through the Professional Certificate Approval Program Council (PCAP) through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), 233 N. Michigan Ave., 21st Floor Chicago, IL 60601-5809, (800) 335-5535 www.ahima.org
To apply, complete an IHCC application and submit high school transcripts or High School Equivalency Diploma scores and take one of the following: ACT, SAT, or ACCUPLACER test. Testing may be scheduled by calling the IHCC Testing Center at (641) 683-5142 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5142. This program may be entered in the Fall or Spring terms, is offered online.
Criminal background, drug screening, and dependent adult and child abuse record checks are required prior to the first professional experience.
To provide a program of Medical Insurance Coding education which builds upon practical application and affords the student the opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to become a competent medical insurance coding professional.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Possess the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of an entry level medical insurance coding professional.
- Communicate effectively with clients, family and health care team members.
- Adhere to ethical and legal principles in relation to standards of practice.
- Demonstrate accountability for professional behavior, development and growth.
- Use documentation that is concise and grammatically correct.
Program Total: 41 Credits